Associate Editor / Full-Time
United Methodist Publishing House
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: The Associate Editor, VBS manages—under the supervision of the Director, VBS, and in collaboration with the VBS team and contractors and vendors—the product planning, writing and/or manuscript acquisition, editorial development, and copyediting/production editing of Vacation Bible School resources to serve The United Methodist Church and other markets. This work includes planning and editing Vacation Bible School curriculum and other resources, including writing; collaborating with outside content providers (writers) for manuscripts; editing submissions for structure, completeness, uniqueness, coherence, and competence; and coordinating and completing all steps in the editorial workflow process for each assigned or acquired product (print and electronic), as well as hands-on copyediting/production editing and work with designers to achieve high-quality publications on schedule and on budget. The position requires expertise or ability to acquire expertise in selected computer programs, an ability to produce products on schedule, and strong knowledge of the church and Christian education for children.
REQUIREMENTS: A Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications and/or religion and at least two (2) years of experience with religious publishing, editorial work, or children’s religious curriculum. Training in religion or religious education is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to make presentations and lead workshops
- Excellent personal computer skills, including intermediate proficiency with editing software (Adobe InDesign preferred)
- Knowledge of publishing with a strong proficiency in writing and editing
- Knowledge and understanding of children and children’s programs, including educational theory and communications as required by assigned job duties
- Knowledge of The United Methodist Church is preferred
- Knowledge of markets served by The United Methodist Publishing House related to product appeal, utility, and sales is preferred
- Current or previous participation in Christian education programs within a local congregation is preferred
- Some travel possible, with number and duration of trips to be determined, as needed